Friday, July 3, 2015

Glasgow

So I made it to Glasgow, and just wanna say upfront that Edinburgh is way better :) so much prettier and def got a better vibe (to me atlst), so very glad I'm living there. 

Please note most my photos are on my camera so will do a photo post on Sunday or Monday some stage. 

Arrived in Glasgow around lunchtime yesterday and went for a wander and sightsee around the City Centre, George Square area and the Lighthouse. Lots of shops and old but not pretty buildings. The Lighthouse is a centre for architecture and design. Gotta admit thought it would be better than it was. It did have a roof terrace thing you could view the city from but the city wasn't all that spectacular from up high either. Went to The Butterfly and The Pig Tea Rooms for dinner, so amazing. For £12.95 I got a massive main, cake, toast and as much tea as I could drink. The food was so good too, am very tempted to go back there again tonight but know I should try somewhere new while I'm here. 

Today I went on the City Sightseeing Bus. It's a hop on hop off bus that takes you to the main areas and sights of the city. I got off at the transport museum, very cool place. Loved the way things were displayed and that you could play with some things :) they even had a boat (sailing ship) you could go on and explore, Missie tried her hand at most jobs and decided she liked being Capt most, not only cos you steered the ship but cos you got the best quarters. She wasn't a fan of scrubbing decks at all, and the sail raising was just too much effort as was cooking. She enjoyed the map reading to and was stoked when she found home on it :) 

Next stop I got off at was Glasgow Uni. Kinda made me wish I had studied at an old as uni but Vic Uni was awesome in its own way. It was graduation day today so there were lots of people in robes taking photos. Made me think I should really finish my diploma to say I have, yes Pravina that means you have to finish yours to :p

Then we went through the West End (the older more traditional part of Glasgow where shops have writing in Gaelic not English) on the way to Glasgow Cathedral. Not sure if I was just real tired by this stage or if I've just seen too many old churches now but this one didn't wow me at all. It was just a church. Too be honest prefer some of the NZ ones to this one. Then I wandered through the Glasgow Necropolis which is basically just a big cemetery where all the headstones were taller than me and some made me feel like an ant, they were massive. 

Then back on the bus, went through Merchant City on the way to Glasgow Green (a big park) and the Peoples Palace (museum) and the Winter Gardens. The Palace and the Gardens were ok, again not wowed by them but did find another purple bush/plant/flower/thing that I liked so it wasn't a waste :) and a cool seat, that was also worth it. 

Then I got back on the bus to get back into town and wandered around for a bit. Very tired now but off to find somewhere for dinner soon then will hopefully crash out tonight. Man it's hard work being a tourist lol

Here are a few photos I took yesterday :)

Cool graffiti art on way into train station

Cool graffiti art along riverside

Awesome toilet sign at The Lighthouse

Break time

Last nights dessert :)

No comments: